Revolutions begin as small whispers. Giant trees start as small seeds. Every mountain eventually succumbs to those who put legs to their dreams and begin to climb one step at a time.
The Summit story began in 1991 in the living room of one of its founding members. There were 18 people. The original purpose was to have a faith-filled, Holy Spirit-filled environment for people from all backgrounds to have a place to join together to worship the Lord. Later that same year, the church, named Sound of Triumph, moved to 302 Goff Street - the building still used for evening services today.
In February 2009, the church changed its name to Summit to more accurately reflect the vision the Lord had given our new pastors, Hal and Lisa Boehm. The last six years have been almost surreal:
- A thriving youth ministry
- Vibrant, living worship
- Men’s and women’s ministries
- Weekly small groups
- VBS and kids’ programs
- Increased missionary support
- Community service projects
- Salvations and re-dedications
For more information on our history, watch the video by CLICKING HERE.
We recently purchased and are in the process of renovating the American Mountain Theater. This is a gorgeous 530-seat auditorium with state-of-the-art sound and lights located in the center of downtown Elkins.
We will be giving the upstairs a facelift and turning it into a new, secure children's ministry area. Kids of all ages, from nursery through Camp Summit, will be safe and have fun as they learn to worship, memorize Scripture, serve those around them, pray for others and hear God’s voice.
We have also built an enclosed addition on the front of the building and doing some minor renovations to the lobby as well, to facilitate more room for fellowship before and after services. Needless to say, this is an incredibly exciting time for our church.
Who Are We Doing This For?
- Model Jesus as the real, genuine God that He is through words and actions
- Love people as they are, but love them too much to let them stay that way
- Lead any seeker to discover God’s love, freedom and purpose for their lives
- Present Jesus as love without compromising the truth
- Be faithful to the mandate to take the Good News of Jesus Christ into all the world - local and global
- Minister to the wonderful individuals and families God has already brought through our doors
- Focus on the specific needs of each age group - infants, children, youth, singles and married couples
- Assist each believer to discover their call, equip them to fulfill it and provide avenues for them to do so
- Create an atmosphere for each believer to experience the abundant life Jesus provides
- Open our doors to those who have walked away from church because of past experiences
- Heal wounds which have been caused by other believers
- Welcome people to an authentic faith community
- Restore trust in the local church
We dream big dreams - God-sized dreams that are far beyond the reach of any one person. But giant faith comes from watching giants fall, and we believe, as we each stretch above and outside of ourselves, that this God-given vision will become a God-glorifying reality.
This renovation and purchase will cost an estimated $1.8-million, but our goal is different: We want to see families seek God, hear His voice, and stretch themselves to give as much as they feel God is requiring of them. We trust that as each of us sacrifice and are faithful to that unique calling, this project will be successful.
What you are reading right now is a challenge to be prayerfully and financially involved in the Climb journey with us.
Climb is about reaching more people for Jesus. The decisions we make today affect not only our generation, but generations to come. When you walk through our community, you cannot help but see needs, hurts and questions. Acting as God’s hands and feet, through our newly renovated facility, we will be able to meet those needs, heal those hurts and answer those questions.
If you would like to join hands with us in this endeavor, please contact us or see an usher about picking up a Commitment Card.
The manner in which God brought this opportunity to us is nothing short of miraculous. God took what originally began as a $7-million, 3-phase, 10-year plan to build on our property on the outside of Elkins and turned it into a $1.8-million, 1-phase, 1-year plan to have a state-of-the-art facility located on much better property in the center of the town we are serving.
In the words of Psalm 126, "The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy."
Find Out More
We’ve tried our best to answer every question you could have on this page, but if you want more information on any part of this journey or to discuss the project with a staff member, please either email us at email@example.com, call the church office at (304) 637-4563, or use our CONTACT page.
From May 3-16, 2015, in preparation for Commitment Sunday, we challenged each head of household to lead their family in a 14-day devotional. In case you missed it, this 15-minute devotional time will strengthen your family and grow your faith as we prepare to begin this journey as a church together.
If you did not get your free copy of the devotional from the church and would like one, you can either let us know by CLICKING HERE or download it in printable PDF format by clicking the button below:
Where do you want to go next?
Contact us to learn more about our project plans and how you can get involved:
Feel led to join us? Support the Climb Campaign with an online contribution: